Sunday 30 March 2014

Portuguese vs. Brazilian

There’s no denying that my degree is unusual. The combination of languages is a strange one, which usually evokes a surprised or confused reaction. Of the languages offered at Bristol, I couldn’t have chosen two that contrast more. Russian, with its Slavic roots, aspectual verb pairs and approximately 57 different words meaning ‘to go’, has very few similarities with Portuguese, a plethora of subjunctive constructions and complex tenses.

an introduction to prefixed verbs of motion...

It is interesting to note, therefore, that these two languages occasionally sound similar. The ‘sh’ and ‘ch’ sounds, combined with the closed Portuguese accent, can lead it to be mistaken for Russian. Indeed, people have remarked that my spoken Portuguese carries a Russian twang, on the rare occasion that I have a long enough conversation for it to be detected. I can assure you, however, that the perceived similarities are merely superficial. With my focus now, naturally, on Portuguese, I have encountered an unforeseen problem: the Brazilian accent. I say unforeseen, but I suppose I mean underestimated. It turns out that the Portuguese spoken in Brazil is markedly different to the one from Portugal that I have spent two years learning. Allow me to demonstrate.

Portuguese, just like English, had to cross the Atlantic. And, just like English, the accent that grew in American pastures, was noticeably different to its European brother. Although not a perfect comparison, the differences between British and American English comes close to serving as a control in my Portuguese experiment. But where the Americans have altered a few words and the accent, the Brazilians went further, taking words from Indigenous and African tribes, as well as simplifying the grammar over time. As a result, the Portuguese spoken in Brazil is a far cry from the language that arrived in the year 1500 and, indeed, the language spoken in Portugal today.



Herein lies my dilemma. Which language should I learn? Of course, I will aim to learn both, but trying to flick between the two is far easier said than done. The choice might seem obvious: Brazilian. Brazil, which is home to nearly 20 times more Portuguese speakers than Portugal; Brazil, one of the fastest growing economies on the planet, forming part of the BRIC nations; Brazil, a hotbed of cultural diversity. And yet, I find myself leaning towards the European version, though not just in an attempt to please my Portuguese flat mates. To explain why, I shall again need to draw on the English comparison.

As an English man, I find a few of the various Americanisms than have infiltrated our language somewhat irksome. I don’t mean all of them; just the ridiculous ones like calling petrol (a liquid), “gas”, or giving the word ‘herb’ a silent ‘h’. Barbarity. Proud of my country, and of the language it has bestowed on me, I feel a sense of duty to uphold the excellence and diverse vocabulary of my native tongue. Although some Americanisms do actually make a lot of sense, I feel it is only natural for me to insist that British English is the proper way to speak, simply because we invented it.



But language is the essence of communication. And it would be both arrogant and naïve of me to say that there is only one correct way to speak English. The beauty of language is that it is adaptable and diverse. Countries and regions where English is spoken have adjusted and developed the language throughout history and continue to do so. The same can be said with Portuguese.

Brazilians are fairly chatty, and their language mirrors that trait. It is a language that is designed to be enjoyed with a caipirinha on the beach or whilst sitting in one of Rio’s perpetual traffic jams. Simplifications to grammatical rules governing gerunds, articles and the subjunctive have made the spoken language in Brazil more accessible over time, particularly in speech. The main problem this poses for me is that some expressions used contradict the grammar I have been taught.

But the main linguistic quandary in which I find myself is to do with the accent. I blame myself for not listening to more Portuguese since I started learning, but even if I had, I would probably have been listening to a language that would not hugely benefit me when living in Brazil. Pronunciation differs enormously across the pond. The suave Portuguese accent is very unlike the melodious, undulating dialect you hear in Brazil. The prominence of the ‘ch’ is instantly noticeable, while the ‘sh’ is used far less frequently. Emphasis is placed on words that I don’t expect and I regularly fail to catch a word of what my boss is saying. At times it is frustrating, but then, this is the challenge I signed up for and aim to complete it I shall.

So, what is my decision? Which accent shall I attempt to master? Well, the answer is actually both. I remain firmly sitting on the fence. Brazilian Portuguese should be my answer, given that I am likely to spend more time here than in Portugal, the next 4 months included. However, if truth be told, I prefer the Portuguese accent. Perhaps its resemblance to Russian appeals to my soul; perhaps I feel I should honour the inventors of this language; or maybe I just understand it more easily. Whatever the reasoning behind this impulsive decision, one thing is for sure: my head says Brazilian and my heart says Portuguese.




1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for the post about World Cup. Just a tip about those who don't live in countries that stream world cup online. You can use UnoTelly to remove the geoblock and stream World Cup 2014 in your country free worldcup.unotelly.com

    ReplyDelete